Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar
Patna: Suspected encephalitis, a brain infection, has killed 51 children in Bihar`s Gaya district in the last seven weeks, with three more kids succumbing to the disease, an official said on Saturday.
"Three more children died on Friday," an official said. Most of the children belong to Mahadalit families -- poorest of the poor.
According to district health officials, all children have died at Anugrah Narain Medical College and Hospital (ANMCH) in Gaya, about 100 km from here.
The children reported high fever, followed by bouts of unconsciousness and convulsions.
AK Ravi of the hospital said that till date, more than 220 children with suspected encephalitis were admitted for treatment. "Most of the children were from rural areas of Gaya and neighbouring districts," he said.
"Over two dozen children are still battling for life," he said.
A district administration official said that suspected encephalitis hit Gaya in 2009, 2007 and 2005 and killed dozens of children.
Two months ago, 55 children died in Muzaffarpur district but the state government is yet to confirm these as encephalitis deaths.
Last month, union Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad informed the Rajya Sabha that clinical and epidemiological data suggested that it was an outbreak of acute encephalitis syndrome, resulting in 150 cases and 55 deaths, mostly among children.
In a written reply, the minister said these cases were reported from early June to mid-July from Muzaffarpur and its bordering areas in Bihar.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists