Suspected thief lynched in Bihar
Patna: A mob in a Bihar village lynched an unidentified man who was suspected to be a thief, police said on Monday.
The man in his late 20s was beaten to death in Pakadiya village in Sitamarhi district late Sunday night.
Angry villagers caught him when he was trying to flee allegedly after stealing some valuables from a house in the village.
Police said he was thrashed and his head was crushed with bricks and bamboo sticks.
The unidentified body has been sent for autopsy. Police have lodged a case of murder against unidentified villagers.
The incident came as an embarrassment for Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who claims to have brought "sushasan" or good governance to Bihar. In the last two months, nearly a dozen cases of lynching have been reported across the state.
"Mob justice" is common in the state`s rural areas and small urban pockets. Last year, over four dozen lynching incidents were reported and still more are expected to have gone unreported.
The worst case was reported in 2007 when 10 men from the underprivileged Kueri community were beaten to death in Vaishali district as they were suspected to be thieves. Later, a high-level probe found that the men were innocent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves