Suspected thief lynched in Bihar
Patna: A suspected thief was lynched by a mob in Bihar early on Sunday, police said.
The unidentified man in his mid 20s was beaten to death in Shivganj locality near Dehri village in Rohtas district.
Villagers caught the man when he was allegedly trying to flee after stealing a buffalo, a police official said.
"He was thrashed and his head was crushed with bricks and bamboo sticks," he said.
"The body has been sent for post-mortem examination. A case of murder has been lodged against unidentified villagers," he added.
Villagers beat three of his associates, but they were saved by the timely intervention of police.
In rural Bihar, `mob justice` is common.
Last year, over three dozen lynching incidents were reported.
In September 2007, 10 suspected thieves from the underprivileged Kueri community were beaten to death in Vaishali district. Later, a probe found that the men were innocent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’