Suspected thief lynched in Bihar
Patna: A suspected thief was lynched by a mob in Bihar early on Sunday, police said.
The unidentified man in his mid 20s was beaten to death in Shivganj locality near Dehri village in Rohtas district.
Villagers caught the man when he was allegedly trying to flee after stealing a buffalo, a police official said.
"He was thrashed and his head was crushed with bricks and bamboo sticks," he said.
"The body has been sent for post-mortem examination. A case of murder has been lodged against unidentified villagers," he added.
Villagers beat three of his associates, but they were saved by the timely intervention of police.
In rural Bihar, `mob justice` is common.
Last year, over three dozen lynching incidents were reported.
In September 2007, 10 suspected thieves from the underprivileged Kueri community were beaten to death in Vaishali district. Later, a probe found that the men were innocent.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know