Team Anna flays Bihar govt`s draft Lokayukta Bill
New Delhi: Team Anna was on Wednesday disappointed
over Bihar government`s draft bill on Lokayukta, describing it
as a "copy of the much-criticised" Centre`s Lokpal bill which
prompted Anna Hazare to go on hunger strike.
Activist Arvind Kejriwal said the team hoped that Chief
Minister Nitish Kumar, who had on June 30 promised Team Anna
that he will enact a strong Lokayukta law, brings a strong
Bill on the lines of the one passed by Uttarakhand assembly.
"Bihar government`s proposed Lokayukta Bill is a copy of
the much-criticised Centre`s draft against which Anna sat on a
fast," he said.
Another Team Anna member Kiran Bedi said the proposed
Lokayukta Bill of Bihar was a "replica" of the Centre`s Lokpal
against which they had all agitated. "Jan Lokpal Bill is an
absolute necessity for standardisation," he said.
Kejriwal said selection, suspension and removal of
Lokayukta will be in government`s control and therefore it
will not be independent, as per the draft.
The draft also says the Lokayukta needs permission from
government to investigate and prosecute any government officer
and punishment to a complainant if he files a frivolous
complaint and punishment for a corrupt officer is the same,
six months to five years.
As per the draft, corrupt officers will also get free
legal assistance provided by government against the
complainant, he said.
"These are the same provisions that were there in central
government`s draft Lokpal Bill and Anna sat on a fast against
these provisions. We sincerely wish that Nitish Kumar brings a
strong Lokayukta Bill on the lines of Uttarakhand," he said.
Bihar cabinet had yesterday decided to seek public
opinion on the proposal for effective and strong Lokayukta by
November 22 and formed a committee headed by Deputy Chief
Minister S K Modi to finetune the draft of the Lokayukta Bill
which is proposed to be tabled in the winter session of the
state assembly in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what