Thousands of lawyers stop work in Bihar
Patna: Thousands of lawyers in Bihar Wednesday abstained from work to protest against the arrest of a colleague.
The Bihar Bar Council had asked all advocates to observe a strike over the arrest of Anil Kumar Singh in Samastipur April 19.
Singh was arrested for charging a fee of Rs.30 for drafting an application, which local officials considered a bribe.
Council chairman Baleshwar Prasad Sharma said nearly 80,000 lawyers took part in the strike. The protest hit the Patna High Court too.
"We have demanded a compensation of Rs.10 lakh for Singh for the harassment and wrongful arrest and transfer of officials responsible for it," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters