Thousands of lawyers stop work in Bihar
Patna: Thousands of lawyers in Bihar Wednesday abstained from work to protest against the arrest of a colleague.
The Bihar Bar Council had asked all advocates to observe a strike over the arrest of Anil Kumar Singh in Samastipur April 19.
Singh was arrested for charging a fee of Rs.30 for drafting an application, which local officials considered a bribe.
Council chairman Baleshwar Prasad Sharma said nearly 80,000 lawyers took part in the strike. The protest hit the Patna High Court too.
"We have demanded a compensation of Rs.10 lakh for Singh for the harassment and wrongful arrest and transfer of officials responsible for it," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February