Thousands of lawyers stop work in Bihar
Patna: Thousands of lawyers in Bihar Wednesday abstained from work to protest against the arrest of a colleague.
The Bihar Bar Council had asked all advocates to observe a strike over the arrest of Anil Kumar Singh in Samastipur April 19.
Singh was arrested for charging a fee of Rs.30 for drafting an application, which local officials considered a bribe.
Council chairman Baleshwar Prasad Sharma said nearly 80,000 lawyers took part in the strike. The protest hit the Patna High Court too.
"We have demanded a compensation of Rs.10 lakh for Singh for the harassment and wrongful arrest and transfer of officials responsible for it," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured