Thousands of lawyers stop work in Bihar
Patna: Thousands of lawyers in Bihar Wednesday abstained from work to protest against the arrest of a colleague.
The Bihar Bar Council had asked all advocates to observe a strike over the arrest of Anil Kumar Singh in Samastipur April 19.
Singh was arrested for charging a fee of Rs.30 for drafting an application, which local officials considered a bribe.
Council chairman Baleshwar Prasad Sharma said nearly 80,000 lawyers took part in the strike. The protest hit the Patna High Court too.
"We have demanded a compensation of Rs.10 lakh for Singh for the harassment and wrongful arrest and transfer of officials responsible for it," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report