Three awarded life term in Sirsa dowry death case
Sirsa: A local court Thursday sentenced a couple
and their son to life imprisonment for harassing their five-month pregnant daughter-in-law for dowry and driving her to commit suicide.
Additional Sessions Judge Neelima Shangla sentenced Amar Singh, his mother Manjeet Kaur alias Matto Bai and father Mangal Singh to life imprisonment and slapped a fine of Rs 50,000. In case of failure of payment of fine, the three will
have to serve another three years rigorous imprisonment.
Kaushalya was married to accused Amar Singh on March 11,
2007. Her parents alleged that Kaushalya was harassed by her
in-laws for dowry.
It was alleged that her in-laws had demanded cash and a
motor-cycle, which her parents could not fulfil due to financial constraints.
Annoyed by the repeated harassment and thrashing by her
in-laws, five-month pregnant Kaushalya allegedly set herself
afire in 2009. She succumbed to burn injuries on November 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened