Three drowned, 8 missing as boat capsizes in Ganga
Begusarai: Three children drowned and eight others went missing as a boat capsized on in river Ganga in Bihar`s Begusarai district, police sources said.
The country boat, with 22 people on board, toppled in the river drowning three unidentified children, while eight others went missing, the sources said.
The rest, including two boatmen, swam to safety.
The three bodies have been fished as efforts were on to recover the remaining bodies.
District Magistrate Manoj Kumar and Superintendent of Police (SP) Harpreet Kaur were camping at the site to supervise the relief and rescue works.
Disaster Management Minister Renu Kushwaha, who was passing through the area after the tragedy, had to face the brunt of the anger of local people who protested against non-arrival of the disaster team to assist relief works.
Kushwaha assured the protesters that a NDRF team will be pressed into service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test