TMC accuses state Election Commissioner of being partisan
Kolkata: Peeved over the State Election Commission`s recommendation of holding the coming panchayat poll in West Bengal in three phases under supervision of central forces, the ruling Trinamool Congress on Sunday accused the poll panel of being partial to the Left Front.
Questioning the decision to "postpone" the polls, TMC general secretary Mukul Roy alleged that as state election commissioner was appointed during the preious regime, she is "trying to help" the Left.
He said the government had promised to hold panchayat polls in February, but due to some unknown reasons, the SEC is trying to delay them.
"I feel, as the present SEC (Mira Pandey) was appointed in 2010 because of the recommendation of the then Left regime, she is trying to help the Left evade the unavoidable rout in panchayat poll," Roy said.
"Everybody knows that if the panchayat poll is held now, the Left will lose everywhere. I feel somewhere that the SEC is trying many procedures to defer the Left Front`s rout. We don`t understand why she is trying to postpone the polls," said Roy.
Unlike Trinamool Congress, the Opposition Left Front and the Congress have favoured a three-phase election with deployment of central forces.
"There has been some unofficial agreement to save the present Opposition from rout, but people of the state will give a befitting reply," Roy said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference