TMC accuses state Election Commissioner of being partisan
Kolkata: Peeved over the State Election Commission`s recommendation of holding the coming panchayat poll in West Bengal in three phases under supervision of central forces, the ruling Trinamool Congress on Sunday accused the poll panel of being partial to the Left Front.
Questioning the decision to "postpone" the polls, TMC general secretary Mukul Roy alleged that as state election commissioner was appointed during the preious regime, she is "trying to help" the Left.
He said the government had promised to hold panchayat polls in February, but due to some unknown reasons, the SEC is trying to delay them.
"I feel, as the present SEC (Mira Pandey) was appointed in 2010 because of the recommendation of the then Left regime, she is trying to help the Left evade the unavoidable rout in panchayat poll," Roy said.
"Everybody knows that if the panchayat poll is held now, the Left will lose everywhere. I feel somewhere that the SEC is trying many procedures to defer the Left Front`s rout. We don`t understand why she is trying to postpone the polls," said Roy.
Unlike Trinamool Congress, the Opposition Left Front and the Congress have favoured a three-phase election with deployment of central forces.
"There has been some unofficial agreement to save the present Opposition from rout, but people of the state will give a befitting reply," Roy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE:CM Fadnavis thanks people of Maharashtra for 'huge' victory as BJP clinches 81 seats; Shiv Sena 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway