TMC gets Krishnagar civic board as Cong, LF members join it
Kolkata: Ahead of the coming elections of Krishnagar Municipality in Nadia district, all Congress and Left Front members of the 24-member civic body on Tuesday joined Trinamool Congress converting the Congress-led board entirely into a TMC-led one.
Announcing this at a press conference here today, Trinamool Congress All India General Secretary Mukul Roy said with the joining of 14 Congress members including the chairman of Krishnagar Municipality Asim Saha and two members (Samajwadi Party) of the LF in the Trinamool Congress, the 24-member board has entirely gone in favour of the Trinamool.
Describing it as an impact of the party`s success under the leadership of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the last two and a half years, Roy said many leaders and workers from other parties have also started switching over to TMC.
Altogether, five civic bodies including Midnapore, Jhargram, Krishnagar and Baharampore municipalities, and Howrah Municipal Corporation, are going to the polls on November 22, he said.
Besides, by-elections in 22 wards under various civic bodies, including two wards of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation, are also going to take place on November 22.
Trinamool Congress today nominated its candidates for the KMC by-election in ward numbers 1 and 24.
"Our candidates Sita Jaiswal will contest for ward number one and Mrinal Saha for ward 24 in the forthcoming KMC by-election," TMC leader and state Industry Minister Partha Chatterjee said here.
Both the senior party leaders, Roy and Chatterjee, also wished the people of Bengal on the occasions of Bijoya and Dusshera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued