Toll in hooch tragedy rises to 20, 15 others taken ill
Ara: The hooch tragedy in Bihar`s Bhojpur district has claimed 20 lives so far while 15 others were taken ill with two persons suffering visual impairment, an official said on Monday.
Altogether 20 persons, including five women, have died after consumption illicit liquor in Anaith, Pakri and Chhoti line localities under Nawada police station area over the past four days, District Magistrate Pratima S Verma said.
As many as 15 others have taken ill at Sadar hospital in Ara town and the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) at Patna, she said, adding two of them, identified as Gyansagar Paswan and Jaleshwar Mukhiya have suffered visual impairment and were undergoing treatment.
The District Administration has decided to give ex-gratia of Rs 20,000 each to the kin of the victims in the hooch tragedy, Verma said.
The police has arrested 24 illicit liquor vendors and destroyed 25 illicit factories in the districts, besides seizing 350 litre spurious liquor, police sources said.
Raids were being carried out to nab three named accused persons booked for supply of illicit liquor that caused the death of 20 persons in the district, they said.
Cases have been registered under the SC/ST Act in connection in connection with the death of 12 dalits in the hooch tragedy, the sources said, adding that separate FIRs have been lodged at 12 police stations for sale of illicit liquor.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read