Toll in hooch tragedy rises to 20, 15 others taken ill
Ara: The hooch tragedy in Bihar`s Bhojpur district has claimed 20 lives so far while 15 others were taken ill with two persons suffering visual impairment, an official said on Monday.
Altogether 20 persons, including five women, have died after consumption illicit liquor in Anaith, Pakri and Chhoti line localities under Nawada police station area over the past four days, District Magistrate Pratima S Verma said.
As many as 15 others have taken ill at Sadar hospital in Ara town and the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) at Patna, she said, adding two of them, identified as Gyansagar Paswan and Jaleshwar Mukhiya have suffered visual impairment and were undergoing treatment.
The District Administration has decided to give ex-gratia of Rs 20,000 each to the kin of the victims in the hooch tragedy, Verma said.
The police has arrested 24 illicit liquor vendors and destroyed 25 illicit factories in the districts, besides seizing 350 litre spurious liquor, police sources said.
Raids were being carried out to nab three named accused persons booked for supply of illicit liquor that caused the death of 20 persons in the district, they said.
Cases have been registered under the SC/ST Act in connection in connection with the death of 12 dalits in the hooch tragedy, the sources said, adding that separate FIRs have been lodged at 12 police stations for sale of illicit liquor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead