Undertrial prisoner attempts self immolation
Sheikhpura: An undertrial prisoner at the district prison here allegedly tried to immolate himself and sustained several burn injuries.
Jamuna Mahto poured kerosene on his body from a lantern and lit a matchstick in a bid to immolate himself last night and sustained 75 per cent burns, jail superintendent Virendra Kumar said today.
Jail doctors referred him to Patna Medical College and Hospital, Kumar said.
The prisoner, a native of Sijhauri village of Sheikhpura district, had been lodged in the jail for three months in connection with the murder of his daughter in-law for dowry. His son too is in the same jail in the case, while his wife and daughter were released on bail recently.
An investigation was on into the incident, Kumar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway