Undertrial prisoner attempts self immolation
Sheikhpura: An undertrial prisoner at the district prison here allegedly tried to immolate himself and sustained several burn injuries.
Jamuna Mahto poured kerosene on his body from a lantern and lit a matchstick in a bid to immolate himself last night and sustained 75 per cent burns, jail superintendent Virendra Kumar said today.
Jail doctors referred him to Patna Medical College and Hospital, Kumar said.
The prisoner, a native of Sijhauri village of Sheikhpura district, had been lodged in the jail for three months in connection with the murder of his daughter in-law for dowry. His son too is in the same jail in the case, while his wife and daughter were released on bail recently.
An investigation was on into the incident, Kumar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley