Undertrial prisoner attempts self immolation
Sheikhpura: An undertrial prisoner at the district prison here allegedly tried to immolate himself and sustained several burn injuries.
Jamuna Mahto poured kerosene on his body from a lantern and lit a matchstick in a bid to immolate himself last night and sustained 75 per cent burns, jail superintendent Virendra Kumar said today.
Jail doctors referred him to Patna Medical College and Hospital, Kumar said.
The prisoner, a native of Sijhauri village of Sheikhpura district, had been lodged in the jail for three months in connection with the murder of his daughter in-law for dowry. His son too is in the same jail in the case, while his wife and daughter were released on bail recently.
An investigation was on into the incident, Kumar added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know