Undertrial prisoner attempts suicide by immolating himself in Bihar
Biharsharif: An undertrial prisoner on Thursday attempted suicide by immolating himself in a jail in Bihar`s Nalanda district, an official said.
Prisoner Ajay Chaudhary poured kerosone oil on himself and lit a matchstick in a bid to commit suicide in the jail in Hilsa Sub-Division, but the other inmates and prison guards came to his rescue and doused the flames, District Magistrate B Kartikeya said.
Chaudhary, who sustained severe burn injuries, was taken to a private clinic where the attending doctors referred him to hospital in the state capital, he said.
A native of Kanhaiyaganj village under Ungari police station area, he was arrested two years ago on a complaint lodged by a woman, a tenant in his house, for outraging her modesty, the District Magistrate said, adding a probe has been ordered in this connection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Japan's first lady makes first visit to Pearl Harbor