Undertrial prisoner attempts suicide by immolating himself in Bihar
Biharsharif: An undertrial prisoner on Thursday attempted suicide by immolating himself in a jail in Bihar`s Nalanda district, an official said.
Prisoner Ajay Chaudhary poured kerosone oil on himself and lit a matchstick in a bid to commit suicide in the jail in Hilsa Sub-Division, but the other inmates and prison guards came to his rescue and doused the flames, District Magistrate B Kartikeya said.
Chaudhary, who sustained severe burn injuries, was taken to a private clinic where the attending doctors referred him to hospital in the state capital, he said.
A native of Kanhaiyaganj village under Ungari police station area, he was arrested two years ago on a complaint lodged by a woman, a tenant in his house, for outraging her modesty, the District Magistrate said, adding a probe has been ordered in this connection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Saffron party will still face defeat in the upcoming assembly elections', BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna Joshi jump
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh