Undertrial prisoner attempts suicide by immolating himself in Bihar
Biharsharif: An undertrial prisoner on Thursday attempted suicide by immolating himself in a jail in Bihar`s Nalanda district, an official said.
Prisoner Ajay Chaudhary poured kerosone oil on himself and lit a matchstick in a bid to commit suicide in the jail in Hilsa Sub-Division, but the other inmates and prison guards came to his rescue and doused the flames, District Magistrate B Kartikeya said.
Chaudhary, who sustained severe burn injuries, was taken to a private clinic where the attending doctors referred him to hospital in the state capital, he said.
A native of Kanhaiyaganj village under Ungari police station area, he was arrested two years ago on a complaint lodged by a woman, a tenant in his house, for outraging her modesty, the District Magistrate said, adding a probe has been ordered in this connection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30