Unruly scenes in Bihar Houses, 14 MLCs suspended
Patna: Chaotic scenes were witnessed in
both Houses of Bihar Legislature on Tuesday as Opposition members
overturned desks and chairs, broke microphones and virtually
came to blows with ruling alliance MLAs over the debate on a
CAG report on alleged financial irregularities.
Chairman T K Jha suspended 14 opposition MLCs for the
day following unruly scenes in the House after the Opposition
demanded resignation of the BJP-JD(U) government on the CAG
report that highlighted alleged irregularities of Rs 11,412
crore in execution of development and welfare schemes between
2002-03 and 2007-08.
As the state assembly sat for the day, opposition MLAs
stormed into the Well of the House. The ruling NDA MLAs too
followed them and the House was adjourned till 1200 hours and
again till lunch.
In the post-lunch session, Speaker U N Chaudhary
requested the Opposition to allow a debate on the CAG report
which was tabled in the House in July 2009.
However, agitated MLAs raised slogans against the
government and overturned chairs, desk, removed microphones
and tore papers.
Ruling NDA members also trooped into the Well.
As both the sides virtually came to blows, the Speaker
adjourned the House till tomorrow.
The entire opposition MLAs then sat on a dharna in the
Well demanding immediate resignation of the Nitish Kumar
RJD leader Ramchandra Purve said the opposition MLAs
would continue the dharna for an indefinite period to press
for the demand.
The Upper House was also adjourned for the day as the
Opposition continued with their protests.
Later, terming the incident as "unfortunate", Choudhary
castigated both the ruling and opposition MLAs. "I am
extremely perturbed because of today`s happenings," he said.
Ruling JD(U) chief whip Shravan Kumar said it was
"extremely indecent" and called for proper training of the
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar termed the incident as
"unwarranted, unfortunate" and an "attempt to seek publicity."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi