UPA pushing country toward 2nd phase of colonisation: BJP
Patna: Slamming Congress-led UPA government for allowing 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail, the BJP Monday said the measure amounted to pushing the country into the second phase of colonisation.
"The manner in which the Centre notified at midnight allowing 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail would push the country into the second phase of colonisation," BJP national spokesperson Syed Shahanwaz Hussain said, while addressing party workers during protest march near Hartali More here.
He also alleged the decision was taken under pressure from USA and in brazen disrespect to public sentiments.
He said the UPA government`s "anti-people" face has been exposed after it allowed FDI in retail at the risk of jeopardising livelihood of crores of retail traders.
BJP will agitate on the alleged failure of the UPA government to deal with price rise and corruption, he said.
The state unit BJP chief C P Thakur also attacked the UPA government on the FDI issue and said foreign retailers have been given licence to loot the country.
Earlier, BJP leaders and workers took out a protest march from the party office to Hartali More and raised anti-UPA government slogans for allowing FDI in retail.
A delegation led by Hussain, Thakur and other senior BJP leaders later went to the Raj Bhawan and handed over a memorandum addressed to President Pranab Mukherjee through Governor Devanand Konwar to protest FDI in multi-brand retail among other economic policy decisions of the UPA government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?