Uproar in Assembly over Nitish apology
Patna: The opposition RJD on Thursday raised the issue Chief Minister Nitish Kumar apologising for the alleged misbehaviour of an SP with a woman, saying this was
not a healthy sign for democracy.
Raising the issue during the zero-hour, RJD MLAs Lalit Yadav supported by his other party colleagues, alleged that the government had given a free hand to police personnel to unleash atrocities on people.
Leader of the opposition and senior RJD MLA Abdul Bari Siddiqui expressed surprise over Kumar apologising for the `misbehaviour` of a senior police official with a woman after death of two children here on February 20.
"Being the head of the executive, chief minister`s apology for an act committed by an official is not a healthy sign for democracy," he said.
"Had the CM apologised for what happened in Forbesganj where four persons were killed in police firing last year or for the atrocities on women, Dalits and backwards in Jehanabad or Gaya," Siddiqui asked.
RJD members demanded immediate sacking of the woman SP involved in the alleged misbehaviour.
Road Construction Minister NK Yadav, however, opposed the statement of Siddiqui saying it reflected the sensible behaviour of the chief minister.
The chief minister had asked Chief Secretary Navin Kumar to submit a report about the incident, he said.
"It is my moral responsibility if any state machinery has caused any citizen to face difficulty during my tenure," Kumar had said in the legislative council yesterday and
apologised for what happened on February 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets