Uproar in Bihar assembly, Modi attacks Katju
Patna: Attacking Press Council of India (PCI)
Chairman Markandeya Katju, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister SK
Modi on Monday said the Centre should consider whether to continue
with the PCI chief who is "shrouded in controversies", as
the issue of Katju`s remarks alleging undermining of press
freedom under Nitish Kumar rocked the state Assembly.
Shouting anti-government slogans demanding "freedom of
press" in Bihar in the wake of Katju`s Friday`s remarks, the
opposition RJD MLAs, supported by Congress and LJP colleagues,
tried to disrupt the question hour and later walked out of the
The MLAs returned after some time but heated exchanges
followed between the treasury and opposition benches.
Soon after Chief Minister Nitish Kumar entered the house,
the Deputy Chief Minister said, "Katju is in the habit of
visiting states and make controversial remarks to hog the
headlines... we don`t approve it."
"I think the Centre should consider as to whether it
wants to continue a person holding such a high position who
has been always involved in making controversial remarks and
is rather shrouded in controversies," Modi demanded.
Opposition members stood up in protest while Leader of
Opposition Abdul Bari Siddiqui slammed Modi for his
Siddiqui claimed since Katju was holding a constitutional
post, Modi by way of commenting against Katju as one who
stirred controversies had violated its very spirit.
"They are not the persons who have ever tried to uphold
constitutional dignity and prestige," Siddiqui alleged
apparently referring to the BJP.
To this, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Vijendra Prasad
Yadav reacted sharply and said the opposition wanted it should
have all the rights in its hands to slam the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH