Urban population up in Bihar
Patna: The urban population in Bihar has
increased to 11.30 percent of the estimated total population
of 10.38 crore in the state but the sex ratio has dropped to
916 females per 1000 males in the past decade.
Giving the provisional census data for 2011, Joint
Director of the Directorate of Census Operations(Bihar)
AK Saxena said on Friday the urban population in Bihar was 10.5
per cent of its total population in 2001 and was 11.30 percent in 2011.
There was a corresponding decline in rural population.
In 2011 88.78 percent of the total population was from
rural areas, while in 2001 it was 89.50 percent.
The decadal growth of population was 25.07 percent.
The provisional data, earlier released by the
directorate, showed a 20 percent rise in the state’s female
literacy rate from 33.12 percent in 2001 to 53.33 percent
The sex ratio dropped to 916 females per 1,000 males
this year from 919 in 2001, with a sharp fall in the child
population (aged 0-6 years) from 942 girl children in 2001 to
In Patna, Bihar’s most populous district and an urban
area, the sex ratio was most skewed with the girl child ratio
at an alarming 899 girls per 1,000 boys from the erstwhile 923
in 2001, Saxena said.
According to the provisional census data 6 out of the
state?s 8 urban districts, including Patna, have shown a
marked decline in the child sex ratio since 2001.
Bhagalpur and Begusarai districts have recorded
precipitous drops - 934 and 911 from their erstwhile figures
of 966 and 946 respectively.
Gopalganj topped the sex-ratio list with 1015 females
per 1000 males, which is being attributed to high levels
migration from the district.
Bihar’s overall literacy rate, however, shot up during
the past decade and now stands at 63.82 percent, a 17 per
cent jump from the 47 percent in 2001.
According to the data 21 of the 38 districts in Bihar
have clocked up a female literacy rate higher than the state
average with Maoist-affected Munger district topping the chart
with an impressive 65.53 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy