Vajpayee-Sharif had clinched peace, but for Kargil: Nitish
Patna: The initiatives of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Nawaz Sharif had almost clinched lasting peace between India and Pakistan, but for the Kargil war, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday said.
"The task is tough due to unwanted forces and events like Kargil which come in between such efforts...More such initiatives are required to further promote a relationship of peace and brotherhood between India and Pakistan," Kumar, who made a successful week-long tour of Pakistan last month, said sharing his experience at a function here.
"Former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif whom I met was full of pains that efforts made by him and Vajpayee which had almost succeeded in establishing lasting peace between the two countries was bedevilled by the Kargil war," he said.
Kumar, who was Union minister in the NDA government of Vajpayee, said he found a yearning for peace and brotherhood among members of civil society of that country.
The Bihar CM, who had led a delegation of politicians and officials to Pakistan from November 9-16 at the invitation of Chief Ministers of Punjab and Sind, stressed on making the journey between the two nations hassle-free.
Kumar appreciated the recent efforts of visa liberalisation and promotion of trade between two neighbours and emphasised on more frequent visits by politicians, professionals and mediapersons for people-to-people contact.
Kumar said the Bihar model of governance was deeply appreciated by political representatives of all the parties including PPP, PTI (Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf) of cricketer Imran Khan), MQM and PML and members of civil society in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog