Vajpayee`s unease at Kalam`s visit to Gujarat `natural`: BJP
Patna: In a virtual endorsement of former President APJ Abdul Kalam`s views in his memoir that then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee was uneasy with his visit to Gujarat after the 2002 riots, Bihar BJP President CP Thakur on Sunday said it was `natural` for a government to feel uneasy with the visit of the constitutional head to a state ravaged with strife.
"Vajpayee`s uneasy at Kalam`s visit to Gujarat was only natural as no government of the day would like the constitutional head to visit a state ravaged with strife," Thakur told reporters.
"Even in the states, a government would not be pleased with the Governor visiting a strife-torn region," he said.
Thakur, who was the Union Health Minister in the then NDA government headed by Vajpayee, said that despite the sense of uneasiness with Kalam`s visit to Gujarat, Vajpayee did not oppose the latter`s decision when he went ahead .
The senior BJP leader also hit out at the political parties for their `hypocrite stand` on treating the saffron party as communal or secular "at their whims and not on the basis of ideological consistency."
In an indirect dig at the JD(U) and specifically to the LJP supremo Ramvilas Paswan, he said "Some political parties or politicians have no problem with the BJP`s ideological credentials so long as they reap benefits of political power in its association, but they start questioning its ideology the moment the party becomes dispensable."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics