Visa rules violation: 9 French tourists deported
Atna/Nawada: Nine French tourists were on Sunday deported from Bihar for allegedly violating certain visa rules during their stay in the state, DGP Abhayanand said.
He said the tourists, who were on visit to India as part of `Bharat Samvad Yatra`, were stopped by police in Nawada yesterday when they were attending a public meeting organised by social organisations having links with Naxal groups.
"The state police headquarters decided, in consultation with competent officials in New Delhi, to deport them," the DGP told PTI.
When the foreigners were asked to show their passports and visas, they were found to be violating certain visa rules as to whether they could participate in any such programme, SP (Nawada) SL Das said.
He said the tourists were then detained at a police outpost and later shifted to the circuit house in Nawada at night.
After a fire broke out in the circuit house kitchen this morning, the tourists were asked to wait in the campus and the matter was informed to the state police headquarters, he said.
Das said the foreigners were brought to Patna, about 100 km from Nawada, and finally deported late this evening.
The SP said the tourists were detained for security reasons as the police feared that their visit to remote villages or inaccessible places in the Naxal-hit district might cause harm to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’