Visa rules violation: 9 French tourists deported
Atna/Nawada: Nine French tourists were on Sunday deported from Bihar for allegedly violating certain visa rules during their stay in the state, DGP Abhayanand said.
He said the tourists, who were on visit to India as part of `Bharat Samvad Yatra`, were stopped by police in Nawada yesterday when they were attending a public meeting organised by social organisations having links with Naxal groups.
"The state police headquarters decided, in consultation with competent officials in New Delhi, to deport them," the DGP told PTI.
When the foreigners were asked to show their passports and visas, they were found to be violating certain visa rules as to whether they could participate in any such programme, SP (Nawada) SL Das said.
He said the tourists were then detained at a police outpost and later shifted to the circuit house in Nawada at night.
After a fire broke out in the circuit house kitchen this morning, the tourists were asked to wait in the campus and the matter was informed to the state police headquarters, he said.
Das said the foreigners were brought to Patna, about 100 km from Nawada, and finally deported late this evening.
The SP said the tourists were detained for security reasons as the police feared that their visit to remote villages or inaccessible places in the Naxal-hit district might cause harm to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway