Voting underway in Bihar bypolls; 28% turnout till 1:00 pm
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Voting is underway in Bihar on Thursday for bypolls to 10 Assembly seats. As per reports, there has been low turnout so far with Election Commission officials recording only 27.89 percent polling till 1:00 pm.
Polling has been peaceful so far in all 10 constituencies.
The bypolls are being held in Hajipur, Chapra, Mohiuddinagar, Parbatta, Bhagalpur, Rajnagar(SC), Jale, Mohania(SC), Narkatiaganj and Banka.
The EC has arranged for boats in the flood-affected areas Mohiuddinagar and Parbatta constituencies to ferry voters to the polling stations. Boats were also used to move polling personnel and security forces to their destinations.
Old and young voters were seen walking to the polling booths located in different constituencies, but there was a marked lack of enthusiasm among them.
The bypolls have become crucial in the wake of the regrouped JD(U)-RJD alliance, led by former state chief ministers Lalu Prasad and Nitish Kumar, taking on the BJP`s “Modi wave” on the 10 Assembly seats.
Apart from helping politicians gauge whether Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s magic is still working in the state, the by-polls will also ascertain which way the wind is blowing in the state before next year`s Assembly polls.
These will also test whether the experiment of reunion of `mandal forces` represented by Lalu Prasad`s RJD and Nitish Kumar`s JD(U) in company of the Congress has been a success in stopping the BJP juggernaut.
Considering the significance of the by-elections for their political survival, Lalu and Nitish have made several trips to the 10 constituencies.
Though no big leaders from outside the state campaigned for NDA candidates, state BJP leaders with LJP chief Ramvilas Paswan and ally Upendra Kushwaha of the Rashtriya Loktantrik Samata Party criss-crossed the state to drum up support.
Altogether 94 candidates including 5 women are in the fray in today`s bypolls, an Election Commission statement said.
Hajipur has maximum 15 contestants while Banka and Rajnagar (SC) have a minimum of six candidates each.
A total of 26,42,407 voters are eligible to exercise their franchise in 2422 booths.
Except for Maoist-hit Hajipur, Parbatta and Banka where voting will take place from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, in the remaining seven constituencies the duration will be 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Additional Director General of Police (headquarters) Gupteshwar Pandey said 1962 police officers along with 6000 personnel drawn from the CRPF, BMP and state police have been deployed to provide security.
He said 40 percent of the district police has also been deployed for the polls.
The campaigning witnessed acrimony between the alliance of the JD(U), RJD and Congress and the NDA combine.
Lalu and Nitish missed no chance to attack Modi for `hoodwinking` voters in the General Elections.
Prasad in particular spit venom against friend-turned foe LJP chief Paswan. He dubbed Paswan a `weather scientist` and `weathercock`. The LJP chief retorted that Prasad was an `expert on jails`.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly