WHO experts investigate Bihar`s mystery disease
Patna: Health experts, including a team of the World Health Organisation (WHO), are visiting villages in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district to investigate the cause of mystery disease that has killed 42 children, an official said on Friday.
WHO experts and others from National Institute of Virology, Pune and a central medical team from New Delhi were visiting villages and meeting local residents to collect information about the disease, a health official told a news agency on telephone.
The WHO team arrived on Thursday and visited some villages, he said.
The mystery disease was identified as encephalitis by health experts Thursday. But the Bihar government is yet to officially confirm it.
"It is not a mystery disease, it is encephalitis that killed children," said IP Choudhary, a member of the central medical team from New Delhi.
But state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said: "It was not proper to term it as encephalitis."
All the children died after they got high fever followed by convulsions and unconsciousness. Locals have repeatedly been terming the disease as `chamki ki bimari`, saying the symptoms were similar to those of encephalitis, which causes inflammation of the brain.
Over three dozen children are undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Muzaffarpur, Motihari and Patna.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list