Will not allow FDI in Bihar: Nitish
Patna: Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday said he was not in favour of allowing Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in his state and added that farmers would not benefit at all from the UPA government`s decision to open up the multi-brand retail market to FDI.
Addressing a press conference here, the Bihar chief minister also said he had voiced his apprehension to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government in New Delhi about allowing FDI in multi-brand retail.
"The retail business is doing well, the shopkeepers are earning money and people are buying their daily needs from them... If FDI comes in, what will be achieved? The farmers will not benefit," he said.
"When the central government wrote to me on the subject, I replied on every point and voiced our apprehensions. It (FDI) will not benefit the farmers at all. They (foreign investors) promise in the beginning that profits will reach farmers. But ultimately, the farmers get nothing," the JD-U leader said.
"Let the government bring FDI to where there is lack of capital," he said, alleging that the foreign investors wanted to "occupy" the Indian market.
"Why should we allow it... We are not at all in favour of implementing it in Bihar," the chief minister said.
On Friday, the UPA government cleared 51 percent FDI in multi-brand retail and 100 percent single-brand retail, besides allowing foreign investment in the aviation, broadcasting and power sectors.
Although the central government has cleared the 51 percent FDI in retail, the decision of whether or not to allow such investment rests with the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash