Woman gang-raped, killed and hung from tree in Bihar
Bhagalpur: In a grim reminder of the horrific Delhi rape case, a woman who got down from a Delhi-bound train in Bhagalpur district, was gang-raped, killed and her body hung from a tree in a mango orchard.
Police said the 32-year-old victim, who was a passenger of the Brahmaputra Mail that was travelling to the national capital, was dragged to the mango orchard and gang-raped by unidentified persons after she alighted from the train between Vikramshila and Kahalgaon stations.
She was strangulated and her body hung from a tree late last night. Police recovered the body today and sent it to the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and Hospital in Bhagalpur for post-mortem.
The victim, who hails from New Jalpaiguri in West Bengal, took the train from Alipore to Delhi, along with her son. As the train was jampacked, she tried to get down at Sahibganj but was prevented from doing so by co-passengers, ASP, Bhagalpur, Meenu Kumari told PTI.
When the train slowed down between Vikramshila and Kahalgaon stations, she jumped out. It is not clear why she took this step.
A group of inebriated people then dragged her to a nearby mango orchard and sexually assaulted her.
Liquor bottles were found at the spot, Kumari said.
A railway ticket and cellphone number of her village pradhan written on a piece of paper was recovered from the victim`s possession, police said.
The latest incident comes close on heels of the December 16 gangrape of a 23-year-old paramedical student by six persons in a moving bus in south Delhi. She was brutally assaulted and thrown on the road without clothes. The victim died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department