Women cops in higher number in Patna thoroughfares
Patna: With an aim to showcase the `human face` of Bihar police, a large number of women constables have been put up at important roundabouts of state capital to man traffic.
Woman police constables could be seen sweating it out at the traffic post at important intersections of Patna to ensure disciplined movement of vehicles.
"We have put 35 women traffic constables on duty at important crossings to control movement of vehicles," Senior Superintendent of Police Amritraj told a news agency.
The SSP said the purpose behind the step was to "showcase the human face of the Bihar police”.
Amritraj said the number of women constables on traffic duty would be increased to 100 in the wake of the success of the experiment.
Entrusting the challenging job to women was also part of the state government`s stress on women empowerment.
"This is a good example of women empowerment," the SSP added.
While placing women on traffic duty is encouraging but the assignment brings a lot of challenges for the fair sex who could be seen shouting at errant drivers. The job becomes all the more difficult considering the fact that number of vehicles has gone up many times in the capital over years.
According to statistics provided by the state Transport department, there were more than 5 lakh small and big vehicles in Patna in 2011 which has a population of around 16.83 lakh.
Narrating her experience, a traffic policewoman Rita Devi said, "Initially I had some hesitation standing on busy roads in male uniform but with time now I don`t feel awkward."
The woman constable is in job since 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video