Women reservation in Bihar cooperatives to empower them: Nitish
Patna: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today said the state government`s decision to provide 50 per cent reservation to women in the cooperative bodies will go a long way towards empowering the fair gender in Bihar.
Intervening during the Cooperative Minister Ramadhar Singh`s reply to debate on the Bihar Cooperative Societies (Amendment) Act, 2013, he said, the decision to provide 50 per cent reservation to the women in the cooperative bodies will be a positive move in the direction of their empowerment.
The other states should take a leaf from Bihar and empower women by providing for 50 per cent reservation in the cooperative bodies, Kumar added.
Stating that the representation of women in the cooperative bodies have been negligible for all these years, the CM said, he was glad that the state assembly passed the bill merely ten days after a cabinet decision was taken in this regard.
Kumar said that the state government would like the cooperative institutions, including the Primary Agriculture Credit Societies (PACSes), to function independently by the representatives elected in democratic elections and cater to aspiration of socio-economic aspiration of the rural people, including the women.
With the women set to become an equal partner in the cooperative bodies in future, there will be equity and socio-economic empowerment of all sections of the society he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says