World Bank lauds Bihar`s high growth rate
Patna: A senior officer of World Bank on Wednesday praised the high growth rate achieved by Bihar which indicates that an "encouraging" environment of progress has been created for faster economic development of the hitherto laggard state.
Bihar clocked highest growth rate of 16.71 per cent during 2011-12, as per Economic Survey presented in Parliament today. Bihar`s growth rate was followed by Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra during the period, according to the report.
Onno Ruhl, Country Director of World Bank, who met Chief Minister Nitish Kumar here today talked about programmes run by the World Bank in the state and expressed satisfaction over there progress, an official statement said.
Kumar told the World Bank official that the state had earlier planned to link villages with a population of 500 and more with metallic road but now under Mukhyamantri Gram Sadak Yojna, village and localities with a population of 250 have been provided all weather metallic roads.
The CM said there are 8,400 panchayats in Bihar out of which in 250 places Panchayat building has been done with assistance from the World Bank.
He requested the Country Director of the World Bank that the apex financial institution show the same interest in constructing building of other panchayats too.
The Kosi project was also reviewed during the meeting and the state government said it intended to complete all roads and bridges construction under the project by September 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!