World`s largest Hindu temple to come up in Bihar
Patna: Bihar would soon have the world`s
largest Hindu temple to be built on the lines of Combodia`s
Angkor Wat, that currently holds the feat.
The Bihar Mahavir Mandir Trust (BMMT) on Sunday said "they
will build a bigger temple in Bihar`s Vaishali district than
the 12th century Angkor Wat temple in Cambodia."
To be built at a cost of Rs 100 crores, the five-storied
and 222-feet tall temple will come up at a sprawling campus
spread over 15 acres at a place near Ismailpur village on
Hajipur-Bidupur road, which will be christened as Angkor
Nagar, BMMT`s secretary and ex-IPS officer, Acharya Kishore
Land worth around Rs 30 crore has already been acquired
for the purpose from locals, he said.
The proposed temple will be named `Virat Angkor Wat Ram
Mandir` and will house the statues of Lord Radha-Krishna,
Shiva-Parvati, Ganesh, Surya, Vishnu, along with the ten
incarnations of Lord Vishnu.
"It will take up to five years to construct the temple
and another five years to give finishing touches to it," Kunal
On selection of the specific site for construction, he
said the place has mythological significance as it is said
that the deities Ram, Lakshman and Vishvamitra had set foot on
the village and were welcomed by King Sumati of the Vaishali
The `bhumi pujan` for the proposed temple will be held
tomorrow, Kunal said, adding the temple was being constructed
to mark the centenary celebration of BMMTs.
The Angkor Wat temple was built in Cambodia in 12th
century during the rule of then Cambodian King Suryavarman
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...