Worm in chicken; KFC outlet closed down
Thiruvananthapuram: The outlet of Kentucky Fired Chicken here has been closed down by the state Food Safety Authorities after a worm was found in a chicken dish bought by a customer from the multi-national restaurant chain, FSA sources said on tuesday.
Action against KFC`s eatery in the heart of the city followed a complaint lodged by the customer who found a dead worm in a dish of `fiery chicken` he bought from the outlet yesterday, they said.
Acting on the complaint, FSA officials searched the outlet and claimed to have come across stale items and immediately slapped a temporary closure notice, sources said.
Though the restaurant staff sought to prevent the officials from conducting searches, they had their way.
They took samples of various dishes served in the hotel for detailed examination and analysis.
The complaint was made by Shaiju, an NRI, who had come to the busy eatery along with his wife, son and two relatives. Shaiju was overcome by nausea and vomited as soon as he saw the dead worm in the chicken served to him.
When he brought the matter to the staff`s notice, they tried to dissuade him from making an outcry or complaint to the health authorities.
However, he later contacted the FSA office and urged them to take action.
FSA sources said the seized samples would be subjected to chemical analysis and further action would be taken based on the result.
The eatery management has also been asked to give in writing their response to the notice, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon