Youth Congress for probe into `brutality` in jails
Patna: Bihar Youth Congress leaders Friday
petitioned State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) for an inquiry into alleged brutalities on inmates by Beur Jail authorities.
Youth Congress President Lallan Kumar, office-bearer
Mihir Kumar Jha and party MLA Md Afaque Alam submitted separate petitions to SHRC Chairman Justice (retired) S N Jha and claimed that the situation inside the prison had become `volatile.`
Kumar said about 20 prisoners had launched a fast inside
the high-security prison here seeking removal of the jail
Superintendent and his deputy.
"The prisoners were on fast as the two officials roughed
up various prisoners ... they have been assaulting them on
petty issues and hurling choicest invectives," Kumar alleged.
He said the SHRC must take cognisance of the situation
and send an enquiry team which should visit the jail to
A directive must be given to the state government to
immediately remove the two officials - Superintendent S.
Priyadarshi and his deputy A. Singh, Kumar demanded.
There was rampant corruption in the jail where several
hardcore Maoists were also lodged, he claimed.
Priyadarshi has, however, rubbished the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley