Youth Congress for probe into `brutality` in jails
Patna: Bihar Youth Congress leaders Friday
petitioned State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) for an inquiry into alleged brutalities on inmates by Beur Jail authorities.
Youth Congress President Lallan Kumar, office-bearer
Mihir Kumar Jha and party MLA Md Afaque Alam submitted separate petitions to SHRC Chairman Justice (retired) S N Jha and claimed that the situation inside the prison had become `volatile.`
Kumar said about 20 prisoners had launched a fast inside
the high-security prison here seeking removal of the jail
Superintendent and his deputy.
"The prisoners were on fast as the two officials roughed
up various prisoners ... they have been assaulting them on
petty issues and hurling choicest invectives," Kumar alleged.
He said the SHRC must take cognisance of the situation
and send an enquiry team which should visit the jail to
A directive must be given to the state government to
immediately remove the two officials - Superintendent S.
Priyadarshi and his deputy A. Singh, Kumar demanded.
There was rampant corruption in the jail where several
hardcore Maoists were also lodged, he claimed.
Priyadarshi has, however, rubbished the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far