Youth Congress for probe into `brutality` in jails
Patna: Bihar Youth Congress leaders Friday
petitioned State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) for an inquiry into alleged brutalities on inmates by Beur Jail authorities.
Youth Congress President Lallan Kumar, office-bearer
Mihir Kumar Jha and party MLA Md Afaque Alam submitted separate petitions to SHRC Chairman Justice (retired) S N Jha and claimed that the situation inside the prison had become `volatile.`
Kumar said about 20 prisoners had launched a fast inside
the high-security prison here seeking removal of the jail
Superintendent and his deputy.
"The prisoners were on fast as the two officials roughed
up various prisoners ... they have been assaulting them on
petty issues and hurling choicest invectives," Kumar alleged.
He said the SHRC must take cognisance of the situation
and send an enquiry team which should visit the jail to
A directive must be given to the state government to
immediately remove the two officials - Superintendent S.
Priyadarshi and his deputy A. Singh, Kumar demanded.
There was rampant corruption in the jail where several
hardcore Maoists were also lodged, he claimed.
Priyadarshi has, however, rubbished the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail