Youth Congress for probe into `brutality` in jails
Patna: Bihar Youth Congress leaders Friday
petitioned State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) for an inquiry into alleged brutalities on inmates by Beur Jail authorities.
Youth Congress President Lallan Kumar, office-bearer
Mihir Kumar Jha and party MLA Md Afaque Alam submitted separate petitions to SHRC Chairman Justice (retired) S N Jha and claimed that the situation inside the prison had become `volatile.`
Kumar said about 20 prisoners had launched a fast inside
the high-security prison here seeking removal of the jail
Superintendent and his deputy.
"The prisoners were on fast as the two officials roughed
up various prisoners ... they have been assaulting them on
petty issues and hurling choicest invectives," Kumar alleged.
He said the SHRC must take cognisance of the situation
and send an enquiry team which should visit the jail to
A directive must be given to the state government to
immediately remove the two officials - Superintendent S.
Priyadarshi and his deputy A. Singh, Kumar demanded.
There was rampant corruption in the jail where several
hardcore Maoists were also lodged, he claimed.
Priyadarshi has, however, rubbished the charges.
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Wrap up probes early, improve conviction rate: Hasmukh Adhia to Enforcement Directorate
- Seventeen killed in Nairobi floods and building collapse
- Real Estate Bill comes into force today
- Facebook India makes removal of offensive content a hard task
- Hundreds of protesters storm Baghdad’s Green Zone, break into Parliament