Youth Congress for probe into `brutality` in jails
Patna: Bihar Youth Congress leaders Friday
petitioned State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) for an inquiry into alleged brutalities on inmates by Beur Jail authorities.
Youth Congress President Lallan Kumar, office-bearer
Mihir Kumar Jha and party MLA Md Afaque Alam submitted separate petitions to SHRC Chairman Justice (retired) S N Jha and claimed that the situation inside the prison had become `volatile.`
Kumar said about 20 prisoners had launched a fast inside
the high-security prison here seeking removal of the jail
Superintendent and his deputy.
"The prisoners were on fast as the two officials roughed
up various prisoners ... they have been assaulting them on
petty issues and hurling choicest invectives," Kumar alleged.
He said the SHRC must take cognisance of the situation
and send an enquiry team which should visit the jail to
A directive must be given to the state government to
immediately remove the two officials - Superintendent S.
Priyadarshi and his deputy A. Singh, Kumar demanded.
There was rampant corruption in the jail where several
hardcore Maoists were also lodged, he claimed.
Priyadarshi has, however, rubbished the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read