Youths wave black flags at Shatrughan Sinha, beaten up
Patna: Black flags were shown at BJP candidate from the Patna Saheb, Shatrughan Sinha on Friday by a group of youths who were beaten up by the actor-politician`s supporters.
A few youths claiming themselves to members of NGO "Lokhit Vikas Manch" waved black flags at Sinha at Kargil Chowk as he was going to file his nomination for the Lok Sabha elections.
City Superintendent of Police Jaykant told PTI that it was "a skirmish".
Though Sinha did not comment on the incident, which occurred for the second consecutive day, BJP MLAs, Nitin Navin and Prem Ranjan Patel, who accompanied him described it as the "handiwork" of political rivals.
"Most of the protestors were young and when asked the reason for showing black flags did not comment," Navin told.
Patel alleged that the protesters appeared to be drunk.
Yesterday a group had protested Sinha`s re-nomination from Patna Saheb seat during his visit to the BJP office and were thrashed by BJP supporters.
A complaint was registered with the Kotwali police station for yesterday`s assault, Kotwali SHO, Alok Kumar said.
The complainants had named Sinha and his supporters for the assault, Kumar said.
Sinha popularly known as `Bihari Babu`, incidentally, had been opposed by a section of leaders in BJP.
There were reports that senior BJP leader Ravishankar Prasad wished to contest from Patna Saheb.
Due to resistance, the candidature of Sinha, who had served as cabinet minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government, was earlier put on hold and his ticket was approved only in the second lot for Bihar.
Sinha would face Bhojpuri actor Kunal Singh of Congress, former Bihar minister and AAP leader Parveen Amanullah and JD(U)`s Gopal Prasad Sinha on April 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi