`100 blinded after Chhattisgarh eye operations`
Raipur: Senior Congress leader Ajit Jogi said Friday that three people had died and over 100 people were blinded in Chhattisgarh after being operated upon at government-run eye operation camps in recent months.
"It`s shocking that over 100 people were blinded and three people died after they were operated upon for cataract at government eye camps in various districts in recent months," Jogi, a former chief minister, said in a statement.
He termed this as "extremely serious and concerning". Holding the state`s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government responsible, he sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe.
The state government has strongly denied any deaths after cataract surgeries at government health camps. But Health Minister Amar Agrawal admitted in the state assembly Dec 22 that as many as 44 people were blinded after being operated upon at an eye camp organised by the state government at Balod in Durg district between Sep 22-Sep 30 in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday
- No water for OP Jaisha: Here's what Virat Kohli's former coach Rajkumar Sharma has to say about it