`100 blinded after Chhattisgarh eye operations`
Raipur: Senior Congress leader Ajit Jogi said Friday that three people had died and over 100 people were blinded in Chhattisgarh after being operated upon at government-run eye operation camps in recent months.
"It`s shocking that over 100 people were blinded and three people died after they were operated upon for cataract at government eye camps in various districts in recent months," Jogi, a former chief minister, said in a statement.
He termed this as "extremely serious and concerning". Holding the state`s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government responsible, he sought a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe.
The state government has strongly denied any deaths after cataract surgeries at government health camps. But Health Minister Amar Agrawal admitted in the state assembly Dec 22 that as many as 44 people were blinded after being operated upon at an eye camp organised by the state government at Balod in Durg district between Sep 22-Sep 30 in 2011.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know