100 civilian staff working in Naxal-hit areas withdrawn
The Government has withdrawn nearly 100 civilian staff working in Naxal-hit areas of Chhattisgarh after a deadly Maoist attack in the state last month.
Raipur: The Government has withdrawn
nearly 100 civilian staff working in Naxal-hit areas of
Chhattisgarh after a deadly Maoist attack in the state last
The decision was taken after a para-medical staff
(veterinary) Rohini Roy of the Home Ministry deployed in
Dantewada was killed when Naxals blew up a civilian bus,
killing 15 civilians and 16 Special Police Officers on May 17
in the same district, Home Ministry sources said.
The officer was attached with the Sashastra Seema Bal
(SSB) battalion that is deployed in Dantewada district to
protect Salwa Judum workers and carry out civil aid works
Another SSB battalion is deployed in Bijapur and these
armed personnel are assisted by almost 100 `non-combatised` or
civilian staff to carry out civic works, including
organisation of medical camps for villagers.
"The entire civilian staff deployed for civic action
has been immediately withdrawn from the state as they neither
move with security personnel in tow nor have an insurance
cover or are allocated a special allowance as extended to the
armed troops of paramilitary forces," the sources said.
The civilian staff comprises area organisers, junior
organisers, field publicity officers, who move in Naxal-hit
villages to carry out medical aid, educational classes, camps
for the elderly and counselling sessions for the youth.
A decision to deploy them back will be taken once the
status of operations and surety of their security is
communicated by the state government, they said.
The SSB is the only para-military force in the
country which has almost 3,700 `non-combatised` personnel in
its ranks along with 40,000 uniformed jawans and officers.