11 ultras held for spreading Naxal ideology in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Eleven cadres, most of them women, of a cultural front of Maoists, were arrested for allegedly spreading Naxal ideology during their ongoing PLGA week in Chhattisgarh`s Bijapur district, police said today.
"The ultras were nabbed while they were conducting cultural activities near Biriyabhumi village under Bhairamgarh police station limits of south Bastar last evening," a senior police official said.
A team of local police was on a combing operation yesterday in restive Bhairamgarh forest, located around 450 kms away from state capital Raipur.
On reaching near a river close to Biriyabhumi village, the security personnel found some tribal youths attired in traditional costume, chanting songs with anti-government themes to allegedly provoke villagers against the state, the official said.
After a detailed interrogation, they were booked under the provisions of Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act 2005, he said.
Those arrested were identified as Sukhmati Madkam, Ilo Padiyami, Raje Vekko, Aayati Kunjam, Roddo, Hidme Podiyam, Sunita Poyam, Sunita, Somani Poyam, Dhanne Vekko and Koparam Poyam, all aged around 20 to 23 years and members of Chetna Natya Mandli (CNM) of Maoists.
Naxal literature, musical instruments and articles used while performing cultural activities were seized from their possession, he said.
The banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) is observing Peoples` Liberation of Guerrilla Army (PLGA) week from December 2 to 8 in honour of their slain leaders during which they organise various programmes to spread their propaganda, besides recruiting new youths in their fold.
So far, 15 members of CNM have been arrested during the week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof