11 ultras held for spreading Naxal ideology in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Eleven cadres, most of them women, of a cultural front of Maoists, were arrested for allegedly spreading Naxal ideology during their ongoing PLGA week in Chhattisgarh`s Bijapur district, police said today.
"The ultras were nabbed while they were conducting cultural activities near Biriyabhumi village under Bhairamgarh police station limits of south Bastar last evening," a senior police official said.
A team of local police was on a combing operation yesterday in restive Bhairamgarh forest, located around 450 kms away from state capital Raipur.
On reaching near a river close to Biriyabhumi village, the security personnel found some tribal youths attired in traditional costume, chanting songs with anti-government themes to allegedly provoke villagers against the state, the official said.
After a detailed interrogation, they were booked under the provisions of Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act 2005, he said.
Those arrested were identified as Sukhmati Madkam, Ilo Padiyami, Raje Vekko, Aayati Kunjam, Roddo, Hidme Podiyam, Sunita Poyam, Sunita, Somani Poyam, Dhanne Vekko and Koparam Poyam, all aged around 20 to 23 years and members of Chetna Natya Mandli (CNM) of Maoists.
Naxal literature, musical instruments and articles used while performing cultural activities were seized from their possession, he said.
The banned Communist Party of India (Maoist) is observing Peoples` Liberation of Guerrilla Army (PLGA) week from December 2 to 8 in honour of their slain leaders during which they organise various programmes to spread their propaganda, besides recruiting new youths in their fold.
So far, 15 members of CNM have been arrested during the week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!