12 killed, 23 injured as bus hits tree in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Twelve persons, including a woman, were killed and 23 injured when the private bus they were travelling in hit a roadside tree on NH-53 in Mahasamund district of Chhattisgarh on Monday.
The accident took place near Darripadaw village under Patewa police station limits when the bus, carrying around 50 passengers, was heading towards Raipur from Odisha this afternoon, Mahasamund SP Deepak Jha said.
Police shifted four passengers with serious injuries to Raipur for treatment while three others were admitted in a Mahsamund hospital, Jha said.
Others with minor injuries were discharged after first-aid at Patewa primary health centre.
The driver and helper of the bus are among the dead.
According to police, prima facie the driver lost control over the bus while overtaking another vehicle, and it hit the tree.
Meanwhile, Chhattisgarh government announced an aid of Rs 25,000 each for the kin of the deceased and Rs 10,000 each for those injured.
Governor Shekhar Dutt and Chief Minister Raman Singh expressed grief over the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!