12 killed, 23 injured as bus hits tree in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Twelve persons, including a woman, were killed and 23 injured when the private bus they were travelling in hit a roadside tree on NH-53 in Mahasamund district of Chhattisgarh on Monday.
The accident took place near Darripadaw village under Patewa police station limits when the bus, carrying around 50 passengers, was heading towards Raipur from Odisha this afternoon, Mahasamund SP Deepak Jha said.
Police shifted four passengers with serious injuries to Raipur for treatment while three others were admitted in a Mahsamund hospital, Jha said.
Others with minor injuries were discharged after first-aid at Patewa primary health centre.
The driver and helper of the bus are among the dead.
According to police, prima facie the driver lost control over the bus while overtaking another vehicle, and it hit the tree.
Meanwhile, Chhattisgarh government announced an aid of Rs 25,000 each for the kin of the deceased and Rs 10,000 each for those injured.
Governor Shekhar Dutt and Chief Minister Raman Singh expressed grief over the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video