12 killed, 23 injured as bus hits tree in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Twelve persons, including a woman, were killed and 23 injured when the private bus they were travelling in hit a roadside tree on NH-53 in Mahasamund district of Chhattisgarh on Monday.
The accident took place near Darripadaw village under Patewa police station limits when the bus, carrying around 50 passengers, was heading towards Raipur from Odisha this afternoon, Mahasamund SP Deepak Jha said.
Police shifted four passengers with serious injuries to Raipur for treatment while three others were admitted in a Mahsamund hospital, Jha said.
Others with minor injuries were discharged after first-aid at Patewa primary health centre.
The driver and helper of the bus are among the dead.
According to police, prima facie the driver lost control over the bus while overtaking another vehicle, and it hit the tree.
Meanwhile, Chhattisgarh government announced an aid of Rs 25,000 each for the kin of the deceased and Rs 10,000 each for those injured.
Governor Shekhar Dutt and Chief Minister Raman Singh expressed grief over the mishap.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!