12 killed, 23 injured as bus hits tree in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Twelve persons, including a woman, were killed and 23 injured when the private bus they were travelling in hit a roadside tree on NH-53 in Mahasamund district of Chhattisgarh on Monday.
The accident took place near Darripadaw village under Patewa police station limits when the bus, carrying around 50 passengers, was heading towards Raipur from Odisha this afternoon, Mahasamund SP Deepak Jha said.
Police shifted four passengers with serious injuries to Raipur for treatment while three others were admitted in a Mahsamund hospital, Jha said.
Others with minor injuries were discharged after first-aid at Patewa primary health centre.
The driver and helper of the bus are among the dead.
According to police, prima facie the driver lost control over the bus while overtaking another vehicle, and it hit the tree.
Meanwhile, Chhattisgarh government announced an aid of Rs 25,000 each for the kin of the deceased and Rs 10,000 each for those injured.
Governor Shekhar Dutt and Chief Minister Raman Singh expressed grief over the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray