12 killed, 23 injured as bus hits tree in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Twelve persons, including a woman, were killed and 23 injured when the private bus they were travelling in hit a roadside tree on NH-53 in Mahasamund district of Chhattisgarh on Monday.
The accident took place near Darripadaw village under Patewa police station limits when the bus, carrying around 50 passengers, was heading towards Raipur from Odisha this afternoon, Mahasamund SP Deepak Jha said.
Police shifted four passengers with serious injuries to Raipur for treatment while three others were admitted in a Mahsamund hospital, Jha said.
Others with minor injuries were discharged after first-aid at Patewa primary health centre.
The driver and helper of the bus are among the dead.
According to police, prima facie the driver lost control over the bus while overtaking another vehicle, and it hit the tree.
Meanwhile, Chhattisgarh government announced an aid of Rs 25,000 each for the kin of the deceased and Rs 10,000 each for those injured.
Governor Shekhar Dutt and Chief Minister Raman Singh expressed grief over the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- India has ability to target whole of Pakistan: Experts on AQ Khan's nuclear attack threat
- Riteish Deshmukh fulfills Madhuri Dixit's wish on TV show
- Kiran Bedi takes oath as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry
- French Open 2016, Day 8: Muguruza, Rogers, Murray, Wawrinka into quarters
- Comets responsible for initiating life on planet Earth: Study