12 killed as compound wall collapses in Ch`garh
Raipur: At least 12 people were killed
and 20 others injured, some of them critically, when a
eight-feet high compound wall of the residence of a
Superintendent of Police collapsed in Sarguja district of
Chhattisgarh on Tuesday following heavy rains.
The incident took place around 11:00 hours at district
headquarters of Ambikapur when the compound wall of Sarguja
Superintendent of Police, OP Pal`s house came down crashing
following incessant rains in the region for over a week,
Sarguja Collector JS Dhananjay said.
The mishap took place when a group of people had taken
shelter from the rains in a waiting room outside the compound
wall with some of them leaning against it, the officer said.
Due to the collapse, around 35 people were trapped
under the rubble and chaos broke out in the area, police said.
While a dozen people were killed on the spot, 20
others were injured of which 15 are said to be critical,
All the bodies have been extricated from the debris
and rescue operations are on. The injured have been admitted
to district and private hospital, he said.
The state government has announced an ex-gratia of Rs
one lakh each to the next of the kin of the deceased and Rs
25,000 for the injured, the Collector said, adding further
investigations are on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reality check: How will India fare at 2016 Rio Olympics?
- When ‘Unindian’ Brett Lee met Kapil Sharma - See pics
- Hillary Clinton slams Donald Trump, says can’t afford to have president who’s in the pocket of gun lobby
- 26-year-old woman gives birth to rare conjoined twins in Mumbai hospital
- UPSC topper Tina Dabi's advice to girl students - Read