169 HIV-positive prisoners in Chhatisgarh jails
Raipur: 169 prisoners in Chhattisgarh were found to be HIV-positive in the last two years and three of them died due to AIDS, the state assembly was told on Wednesday.
"A total of 169 prisoners lodged in the state`s jails were found to be HIV-positive since 2011. Three inmates died due to AIDS during this period," Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar said in a written reply to a question from Nandkumar Patel (Congress).
He said 93 inmates tested HIV-positive in 2011-12. Of these, 29 were convicts while the rest 64 were under-trials. In 2012-13, 76 inmates were found suffering from the infection and among them 19 were convicts and the rest under-trials.
During this period, 102 prisoners suffering from different diseases died in jails, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir