169 HIV-positive prisoners in Chhatisgarh jails
Raipur: 169 prisoners in Chhattisgarh were found to be HIV-positive in the last two years and three of them died due to AIDS, the state assembly was told on Wednesday.
"A total of 169 prisoners lodged in the state`s jails were found to be HIV-positive since 2011. Three inmates died due to AIDS during this period," Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar said in a written reply to a question from Nandkumar Patel (Congress).
He said 93 inmates tested HIV-positive in 2011-12. Of these, 29 were convicts while the rest 64 were under-trials. In 2012-13, 76 inmates were found suffering from the infection and among them 19 were convicts and the rest under-trials.
During this period, 102 prisoners suffering from different diseases died in jails, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'