169 HIV-positive prisoners in Chhatisgarh jails
Raipur: 169 prisoners in Chhattisgarh were found to be HIV-positive in the last two years and three of them died due to AIDS, the state assembly was told on Wednesday.
"A total of 169 prisoners lodged in the state`s jails were found to be HIV-positive since 2011. Three inmates died due to AIDS during this period," Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar said in a written reply to a question from Nandkumar Patel (Congress).
He said 93 inmates tested HIV-positive in 2011-12. Of these, 29 were convicts while the rest 64 were under-trials. In 2012-13, 76 inmates were found suffering from the infection and among them 19 were convicts and the rest under-trials.
During this period, 102 prisoners suffering from different diseases died in jails, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof