20 lakh fake ration cards issued in C`garh; CM should resign: Congress
Raipur: Alleging that lakhs of bogus ration cards were issued in Chhattisgarh by the ruling BJP for "political gains", opposition Congress on Monday sought a CBI inquiry into it and demanded Chief Minister Raman Singh`s resignation over the issue.
"The state government had deliberately issued around 20 lakh ration cards to ineligible people ahead of the assembly polls last year just to reap political gains," Leader of Opposition in the state assembly, TS Singhdeo, said in a press conference here.
Before the implementation of the Food Security Bill, 2013 in the state last year, there were around 33 lakh BPL families with ration cards. However, after that scheme, ration cards were issued to about 66 lakh BPL families, he claimed.
"How did the number of poor families shoot up in a matter of just a few months?" he asked.
According to the Congress leader, the state exchequer suffered losses to the tune of Rs 2,400 crore by providing ration to the bogus card holders.
Singhdeo accused the state government of issuing bogus ration cards to those indulging in black marketing at their fair price shops.
"Over 90% of the fair price shops belong to those who have some connection with the ruling party. All the ration on bogus cards is reaching these black marketeers," he alleged.
"Now, after the assembly and Lok Sabha polls, the state government has started cancelling the bogus ration cards. However, the eligible down-trodden families are bearing the brunt of this exercise," he said.
The government is cancelling the ration cards of those who are actually needy families, he blamed and sought to restore the ration cards of poor families.
"A CBI inquiry should be conducted into the issue and Chief Minister Raman Singh should step down on moral grounds," Singhdeo said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check