20 Naxals killed in Dantewada encounter
Raipur: About 20 Naxals were on Tuesday killed
in a fierce encounter with CRPF and state police personnel in
Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada district.
In another incident, two CRPF jawans were killed in a
landmine blast triggered by the Naxals in Bijapur district.
CRPF Inspector General Pankaj Kumar Sinh said a joint
team of CRPF jawans and state police deployed in Jagargunda
area of Dantewada had gone for area domination exercise when
about 200 Naxals started firing at them near Aasrampura
The security forces returned the fire after which the
Naxals fled. Nine deadbodies of Naxals in `green uniforms`
have been recovered by the security forces.
The IG said the police also saw a pool of blood at the
spot and there were certain marks which indicated that some
bodies were dragged from there.
He said though bodies of only nine Naxals were found,
possibly 20 Naxals have been killed in the firing.
A team of the CRPF`s 111 battalion accompanied by two
special police officers (SPOs) and four state policemen made
the first contact with Maoists at 7 AM and subsequently
encircled the Maoists in the dense jungles of Jagargunda.
The security personnel also recovered nine weapons and
explosives from the site and a search operation has been
launched in adjoining areas, the officer said.
Dantewada has been a Naxal hotbed and security forces
have been trying to conduct successful operations here after
75 CRPF personnel and a state policeman were killed in a
deadly ambush by the Maoists in April.
The second incident occurred near Murtanda village, 280
kms from the state capital, when a bullet-proof vehicle was
on its way back from Awapally after ferrying jawans of
Timapur-based 168 battalion of CRPF, according to Additional
SP BPS Rajbhanu.
"The Naxals blew up the vehicle by setting off a landmine
resulting in the death of the driver and a constable," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Badminton Asia Championship: Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu advance to second round
- There has been no development in West Bengal, only TMC syndicate rules: Rahul Gandhi
- 67 properties of Sahara up for sale, process to start next week: SEBI to SC
- North Korea sets party congress date amid nuclear test fears
- AgustaWestland scam: Manmohan Singh dismisses BJP's charge