Abducted Chhattisgarh cops safe: Police

The four policemen, abducted by the Maoists in Bijapur district, are safe and their release is expected soon, a senior police officer said on Wednesday.

Updated: Sep 29, 2010, 15:54 PM IST

Raipur: The four policemen, abducted by
the Maoists in Bijapur district, are safe and their release is
expected soon, a senior police officer said on Wednesday.

"All four are safe and they are likely to be released
soon," DIG Vivekanand Sinha told reporters here, quoting
information received by the police.

Police were making all efforts to secure their release
ever since the four were abducted from Bijapur district, which
borders Andhra Pradesh, on September 19, he said.

Asked if the abducted -- assistant sub-inspector
Sukhram Bhagat, constables B Toppo, Narendra Bhosle and
Subhash Patre -- have been set free by the Maoists, Sinha said
they don`t have any information in this regard.

Sinha said the demands put forward by the ultras are
general in nature and were under consideration of the state
government.

The Maoists, among other things, have demanded an end
to the Operation Green Hunt and release of a few villagers.

Senior officials said that mediapersons and social
activists-mediated talks with the ultras had been positive and
this has given rise to the hope of safe release of the
policemen.

Chief Minister Raman Singh has already appealed to the
Maoists to release the abducted policemen.

PTI