Alex Menon to continue as Sukma Collector: CM
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh announced on Friday that Alex Paul Menon, who was released by Maoists yesterday after 12 days in captivity, will continue as the Collector of Sukma district.
Addressing a press conference here, Singh also emphatically said there was no secret deal or any quid pro quo between Naxals and the state government behind the release of Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon after he was held hostage for 12 days.
A day after he was set free, the 32-year-old IAS officer returned to his Sukma home, about 450 km from the state capital, this morning to an emotional welcome from his pregnant wife Asha and other family members.
"There is no secret deal or any understanding to facilitate the release of Alex Paul Menon," Singh told reporters when asked whether there was any understanding between the state government and the rebels to bring to an end the 12-day hostage crisis.
At a press conference in Sukma, the two Maoists` mediators--B D Sharma and Prof Hargopal--who facilitated the release of Menon denied any secret deal for the freedom of the Collector.
S K Mishra, one of the two Government mediators, also categorically said there was no "secret deal" or any "quid pro quo" between the two sides.
"Everything is in public domain," he said referring to the agreement reached at between the mediators of the state government and the Maoists that paved the way for the release of the official.
Under the agreement, the government had agreed to set up a high-powered committee under the chairmanship of Nirmala Buch, one of the two Government mediators, to review the cases of all prisoners languishing in Chhattisgarh jails including the cases demanded by the Maoists.
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India