Alex Menon to continue as Sukma Collector: CM
Raipur: Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh announced on Friday that Alex Paul Menon, who was released by Maoists yesterday after 12 days in captivity, will continue as the Collector of Sukma district.
Addressing a press conference here, Singh also emphatically said there was no secret deal or any quid pro quo between Naxals and the state government behind the release of Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon after he was held hostage for 12 days.
A day after he was set free, the 32-year-old IAS officer returned to his Sukma home, about 450 km from the state capital, this morning to an emotional welcome from his pregnant wife Asha and other family members.
"There is no secret deal or any understanding to facilitate the release of Alex Paul Menon," Singh told reporters when asked whether there was any understanding between the state government and the rebels to bring to an end the 12-day hostage crisis.
At a press conference in Sukma, the two Maoists` mediators--B D Sharma and Prof Hargopal--who facilitated the release of Menon denied any secret deal for the freedom of the Collector.
S K Mishra, one of the two Government mediators, also categorically said there was no "secret deal" or any "quid pro quo" between the two sides.
"Everything is in public domain," he said referring to the agreement reached at between the mediators of the state government and the Maoists that paved the way for the release of the official.
Under the agreement, the government had agreed to set up a high-powered committee under the chairmanship of Nirmala Buch, one of the two Government mediators, to review the cases of all prisoners languishing in Chhattisgarh jails including the cases demanded by the Maoists.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre