Alleged Maoist couriers held with consignment of ammunition
Raipur: Three alleged Maoist couriers, including a village headman, were arrested from the district while they were allegedly carrying ammunition for naxals on Wednesday, the police said.
"Based on a specific input, the trio, who were travelling on a motorcycle with ammunition, were nabbed in Abhanpur in Raipur district of the state, when they were heading towards the Maoist-affected Kanker district of North Bastar this evening," Raipur Superintendent of Police OP Pal said.
"Live cartridges, detonators and gelatin rods kept in a bag were seized from their possession which was allegedly meant for Maoists," he added.
Police teams were mobilised after information that some suspects carrying ammunition from Raipur to Bhanupratappur of Kanker was received.
Later, they were nabbed at Abhanpur, around 27 km away from Chhattisgarh`s capital Raipur on Jagdalpur Road, he said.
Those arrested were identified as Mohpal alias Santosh Dhruva (27), Baliram Usendi (29) and Chaitram Darro (22), all residents of?Metabodli village under the Siksor police station area of Kanker.
The seized consignment comprises 233 rounds of AK-47 rifle, 50 rounds of Insas rifle, 10 rounds of 303 rifle, 20 gelatin sticks and 20 detonators, besides Rs 54,000 in cash as well as five mobile phones, he said.
During interrogation, Baliram Usendi admitted that he is the village `sarpanch` of his native place, the SP said.
A few months ago, the `sarpanch` Metabodli village was allegedly murdered by Maoists during a so-called "people`s court", after which Baliram was elected unopposed to this post, he said.
According to the officer, Mohpal was in close contact with senior Maoist leader Prabhakar, who is a divisional committee member of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) which is active in North Bastar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Over 600 young leaders recruited by Rahul Gandhi but not given any responsibilities yet: Report
- Afghan Taliban sources confirm death of leader in US attack
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests