Alleged Maoist couriers held with consignment of ammunition
Raipur: Three alleged Maoist couriers, including a village headman, were arrested from the district while they were allegedly carrying ammunition for naxals on Wednesday, the police said.
"Based on a specific input, the trio, who were travelling on a motorcycle with ammunition, were nabbed in Abhanpur in Raipur district of the state, when they were heading towards the Maoist-affected Kanker district of North Bastar this evening," Raipur Superintendent of Police OP Pal said.
"Live cartridges, detonators and gelatin rods kept in a bag were seized from their possession which was allegedly meant for Maoists," he added.
Police teams were mobilised after information that some suspects carrying ammunition from Raipur to Bhanupratappur of Kanker was received.
Later, they were nabbed at Abhanpur, around 27 km away from Chhattisgarh`s capital Raipur on Jagdalpur Road, he said.
Those arrested were identified as Mohpal alias Santosh Dhruva (27), Baliram Usendi (29) and Chaitram Darro (22), all residents of?Metabodli village under the Siksor police station area of Kanker.
The seized consignment comprises 233 rounds of AK-47 rifle, 50 rounds of Insas rifle, 10 rounds of 303 rifle, 20 gelatin sticks and 20 detonators, besides Rs 54,000 in cash as well as five mobile phones, he said.
During interrogation, Baliram Usendi admitted that he is the village `sarpanch` of his native place, the SP said.
A few months ago, the `sarpanch` Metabodli village was allegedly murdered by Maoists during a so-called "people`s court", after which Baliram was elected unopposed to this post, he said.
According to the officer, Mohpal was in close contact with senior Maoist leader Prabhakar, who is a divisional committee member of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) which is active in North Bastar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India