Anti-naxal cops have to be busy in courts than on ground
Raipur: As if fighting the Maoists was not enough, the police involved in the anti-Naxal operations in Chattisgarh are stretched on another front where they have to spend a considerable time in courts.
Police often get bogged down by cases of alleged human rights violations in various courts resulting in diversion of manpower affecting its operational capabilities in the
operations in the Naxal-hit state, top police officers said Friday.
And the man worried is none other than Director General of Chhatisgarh Police Vishwa Ranjan who finds himself in a catch-22 situation as his men have to spend more time in
courts with lawyers to counter the propaganda of Naxals which is being spread through human rights activists.
The case of Dantewada, the heart of Maoist insurgency, has been cited by the police to buttress their point.
The district Superintendent of Police Ambrish Misra has to spend half his time in Delhi with lawyers in a Public Interest Litigation filed before the Supreme Court by a human
rights activist Himanshu Kumar alleging that 13 people were killed in fake encounters.
In fact, all the 13 persons were alive and their statements have been recorded before a magistrate in a Delhi Court, says Ranjan.
"But to counter this(allegation), my SP has to spend most of the time in Delhi briefing lawyers," he told reporters here.
While initially being reluctant to talk about the case because of its pendency in the Apex Court, the 58-year-old DGP chose to speak about the bigger problems caused by these so-called activists and claims that this was one of the tactics of the Naxals to engage police in court battle so that they could get some breathing space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof