‘Bharat Bandh’: Naxals target policemen in Sukma
Raipur: Four policemen were injured in an attack by Naxals, who first triggered a landmine blast and then opened fire at them in Sukma district in Bastar region during their `Bharat Bandh` on Wednesday, police said.
Additional DGP (Anti-Naxal Operation) Ram Nivas said that during the `Bharat Bandh` call, the Maoists triggered a landmine blast in Sukma district in Bastar region today, in which four police personnel were injured.
The incident took place when the police team was carrying out routine patrols.
The Naxals also opened fire at the police later. However, when the police retaliated, they escaped from the scene. The injured policemen were later taken to hospitals, Ram Nivas added.
Police also claimed to have gunned down four Maoists in a separate encounter in Bijapur district.
According to a senior police officer during the encounter in Bijapur district under Bhairamgarh police station, four Maoists were killed.
Ram Nivas said that police had gone to Bhairamgarh area to remove the trees felled by Naxalites. When the police were patrolling in the area on Tuesday night, Naxals opened fire at them. Police also retaliated and the exchange of fire continued through the night, after which, Naxals fled away from the spot.
He added that during the search operation 10 tiffin bombs and some other equipment was recovered from the site. Blood stains and marks of bodies being dragged were also found on the ground, based on which, police say that at least four Naxalites had been killed.
Meanwhile, Maoists also set on fire three vehicles, including two dumpers that were in use for road construction in Rajnandgaon district, police said.
In view of the `Bharat Bandh` call given by Naxals, police have stepped up security in the state and put their personnel on alert.
According to police, while the transportation in urban areas has not been affected much, in the interior area it was badly hit as the ultras have dug up roads at some places and cut trees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH