‘Bharat Bandh’: Naxals target policemen in Sukma
Raipur: Four policemen were injured in an attack by Naxals, who first triggered a landmine blast and then opened fire at them in Sukma district in Bastar region during their `Bharat Bandh` on Wednesday, police said.
Additional DGP (Anti-Naxal Operation) Ram Nivas said that during the `Bharat Bandh` call, the Maoists triggered a landmine blast in Sukma district in Bastar region today, in which four police personnel were injured.
The incident took place when the police team was carrying out routine patrols.
The Naxals also opened fire at the police later. However, when the police retaliated, they escaped from the scene. The injured policemen were later taken to hospitals, Ram Nivas added.
Police also claimed to have gunned down four Maoists in a separate encounter in Bijapur district.
According to a senior police officer during the encounter in Bijapur district under Bhairamgarh police station, four Maoists were killed.
Ram Nivas said that police had gone to Bhairamgarh area to remove the trees felled by Naxalites. When the police were patrolling in the area on Tuesday night, Naxals opened fire at them. Police also retaliated and the exchange of fire continued through the night, after which, Naxals fled away from the spot.
He added that during the search operation 10 tiffin bombs and some other equipment was recovered from the site. Blood stains and marks of bodies being dragged were also found on the ground, based on which, police say that at least four Naxalites had been killed.
Meanwhile, Maoists also set on fire three vehicles, including two dumpers that were in use for road construction in Rajnandgaon district, police said.
In view of the `Bharat Bandh` call given by Naxals, police have stepped up security in the state and put their personnel on alert.
According to police, while the transportation in urban areas has not been affected much, in the interior area it was badly hit as the ultras have dug up roads at some places and cut trees.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!