Bhilai gas leak: President, PM assure assistance
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi Friday assured all necessary assistance to Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh and to the kin of the deceased in the gas leak accident at the Bhilai Steel Plant that claimed six lives, an official statement said.
"He (Mukherjee) has called upon the authorities concerned to engage in speedy relief and render all assistance to the kin of the victims, besides providing treatment to those affected by the incident," a statement by the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
Modi too assured Singh of all necessary assistance for rescue and relief operations and for the treatment of those affected, a statement from the Prime Minister`s Office said.
Modi spoke to Home Minister Rajnath Singh and directed the central government to coordinate with the Chhattisgarh government`s relief operations at the Bhilai Steel Plant.
Both Mukherjee and Modi offered their condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the accident Thursday.
Six people, including three senior officials, were killed and six were injured in the gas leak that occurred due to break down in the water pump house no. 2.
Set up with the help of erstwhile USSR in 1955, Bhilai Steel Plant is India`s first and main producer of steel rails, as well as a major producer of wide steel plates and other steel products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan