Binayak Sen’s trial: A timeline
New Delhi: Over three years after Binayak
Sen was first arrested on charges of sedition, he was today
sentenced to life imprisonment along with Naxal ideologue
Narayan Sanyal and businessman Piyush Guha for colluding with
Maoists to establish a network to fight the state.
Following is the chronology of events.
January 2006: Narayan Sanyal arrested in Bhadrachalam in
Andhra Pradesh`s Khammam district.
May 6, 2007: Piyush Guha arrested by Raipur police.
May 14, 2007: Binayak Sen arrested in Bilaspur town,
Chhattisgarh, under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and
Chhattisgarh Special Security Act for allegedly acting as a
courier between Sanyal, who was in jail, and Guha, who was
accused of having links with Maoists.
May 15, 2007: Sen presented before a local court where he is
denied bail and remanded in judicial custody.
May 18, 2007: Sen is produced in the Sessions Court, Raipur;
Court orders a search of Sen`s house in Raipur in presence of
independent witnesses and his wife, Ilina Sen. The search is
conducted the next day.
May 22, 2007: Sen, Guha presented before the Sessions Court in
Raipur. The Court extends Sen`s judicial remand till June 5
and orders for the search of his computers and other documents
in the presence of his advocate and independent
May 25, 2007: Sen`s bail plea rejected again as Chhattisgarh
Police allege he is a threat to the state`s security.
June 4, 2007: Sen named as accused in the October 2005 bomb
blast case in Thana Bundwan in West Bengal`s Purulia district.
July 23, 2007: Chhattisgarh High Court at Bilaspur rejects
Sen`s bail plea. Police claim they got incriminating evidence
against him from his computer`s hard disc.
August 3, 2007: Chhattisgarh Police file charge-sheets against
Sen under Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act and
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act in the court of
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Satyabhama Dubey.
December 10, 2007: The Supreme Court dismisses Sen`s bail
March 15 to April 11, 2008: Sen kept in solitary confinement.
Prison authorities claimed it was for his security.
On April 21, 2008: Sen awarded Jonathan Mann Award by the
Global Health Council.
April 30, 2008: Sen`s trial commences in a trial court in
May 25, 2009: The Supreme Court grants bail to Sen on grounds
of deteriorating health.
Dec 24, 2010: Additional District and Sessions Judge of Raipur
Justice B P Verma finds Sen, Sanyal and Guha guilty under
sections 124 A (sedition) and 120 B (conspiracy) of IPC and
provisions of Prevention of Unlawful Activities Act and
Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act. They are sentenced
to life imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested