BJP defeats Congress in Chhattisgarh by-poll
Raipur: Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) pulled off an impressive victory Monday in the state assembly by-election from the Bhatgaon constitueny in Surguja district, handing over one of the worst defeats to arch rival Congress in recent years.
BJP candidate Rajni Tripathi won the seat by a margin of over 35,000 votes, defeating her nearest rival, Congress candidate U.S. Singhdeo. The poolls to the seat were held Oct 1 and there were 12 candidates in the fray.
The seat fell vacant following the death of the BJP`s sitting legislator Ravi Shankar Tripathi, 55, in a car crash in April and the BJP fielded his widow while the Congress picked a member of the erstwhile royal family of Surguja as its candidate. The Bhatgaon constituency, some 400 km north of state capital Raipur in Surguja district, recorded over 75 percent votes in peaceful polling.
Buoyed by the victory, the BJP has described the win as the "people`s approval of our development policy".
"People have reiterated faith in the BJP and has given a thumbs-up to the party to carry on the development policy and welfare schemes for poor and downtrodden people with more commitment," Chief Minister Raman Singh said as he reacted to the party`s success.
The Congress, which had high hopes from the by-election, did not have much to say after the defeat.
State party president Dhanendra Sahu said: "We will analyse in detail as to what went wrong."
With the impressive victory, the BJP`s strength in the 90-member state assembly has risen to 48 while the Congress remains on 39. The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) has two members.
The by-election to the Balod assembly constituency in Durg district is set to be held soon following the death of the BJP`s sitting legislator Madanlal Sahu in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE