BJP govt has failed Chhattisgarh: Sonia Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau
Raipur: UPA chairperson and Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday slammed the BJP government in Chhattisgarh for lack of development, while kicking off her party`s election campaign for the second phase of polling on November 19.
Addressing a rally in Bhilai, the Congress chief said, "It is due to the BJP`s wrong policies that despite having all resources, Chhattisgarh has not progressed."
"There is misgovernance under BJP`s rule in Chhattisgarh. They have failed to develop the state. "Sonia said adding, "Steel Plant in Bhilai was started by Nehru, it is famous in the world."
Sonia is also expected to address another rally in Chhattisgarh today.
Ahead of Sonia`s visit, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi had addressed election rallies here in Rajnandgaon and Kanker (north Bastar) on November 8 and he is due to address rallies in Surajpur and Bilaspur on November 16.
Eighteen Constituencies spread over eight districts in south Chhattisgarh went to polls on Monday while the remaining 72 segments will go into polls on November 19. As many as 985 candidates are in the fray for 90 seats.
In view of Maoist threat, security has been heightened across the state, particularly in the Maoist-affected regions.
In the aftermath of Patna serial blasts allegedly targeting BJP`s PM candidate Narendra Modi, the party had demanded high-level security for the Gujarat Chief Minister.
Taking a serious note of the Maoist threat, the Centre had already deployed an additional 400 companies (40,000 personnel) of paramilitary forces to ensure peaceful polling in Chhattisgarh.
After the peaceful completion of the first phase, the polling for the second phase will be held on November 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi