BJP insensitive to cause of women: Congress
Raipur: Congress Tuesday accused ruling BJP in Chhattisgarh of being "insensitive" towards women issues, claiming the state party leaders had attended New Year celebrations even as the nation mourned the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim.
"In the wake of the Delhi gang-rape victim`s death, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had decided not to celebrate New year. Several incidents of rapes were reported in the past one month in the state. Even after that all ruling party leaders were engaged in New Year celebrations. This shows BJP is insensitive," alleged state unit Congress president Nandkumar Patel.
"Why state BJP leaders had to go to Rajasthan, Goa and Australia if they were not celebrating New Year?" he alleged.
Meanwhile, BJP has dismissed the allegations saying chief minister Raman Singh cancelled the customary New Year bash.
"Chief Minister Raman Singh has decided not to celebrate the New Year as a tribute to the 23-year-old gang-rape victim. Singh cancelled the open house at his official residence which has been held on the January 1 every year," the party said in a release today.
"Raman Singh is returning from Rajasthan this evening," the release said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference