BJP insensitive to cause of women: Congress
Raipur: Congress Tuesday accused ruling BJP in Chhattisgarh of being "insensitive" towards women issues, claiming the state party leaders had attended New Year celebrations even as the nation mourned the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim.
"In the wake of the Delhi gang-rape victim`s death, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had decided not to celebrate New year. Several incidents of rapes were reported in the past one month in the state. Even after that all ruling party leaders were engaged in New Year celebrations. This shows BJP is insensitive," alleged state unit Congress president Nandkumar Patel.
"Why state BJP leaders had to go to Rajasthan, Goa and Australia if they were not celebrating New Year?" he alleged.
Meanwhile, BJP has dismissed the allegations saying chief minister Raman Singh cancelled the customary New Year bash.
"Chief Minister Raman Singh has decided not to celebrate the New Year as a tribute to the 23-year-old gang-rape victim. Singh cancelled the open house at his official residence which has been held on the January 1 every year," the party said in a release today.
"Raman Singh is returning from Rajasthan this evening," the release said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India