BJP insensitive to cause of women: Congress
Raipur: Congress Tuesday accused ruling BJP in Chhattisgarh of being "insensitive" towards women issues, claiming the state party leaders had attended New Year celebrations even as the nation mourned the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim.
"In the wake of the Delhi gang-rape victim`s death, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had decided not to celebrate New year. Several incidents of rapes were reported in the past one month in the state. Even after that all ruling party leaders were engaged in New Year celebrations. This shows BJP is insensitive," alleged state unit Congress president Nandkumar Patel.
"Why state BJP leaders had to go to Rajasthan, Goa and Australia if they were not celebrating New Year?" he alleged.
Meanwhile, BJP has dismissed the allegations saying chief minister Raman Singh cancelled the customary New Year bash.
"Chief Minister Raman Singh has decided not to celebrate the New Year as a tribute to the 23-year-old gang-rape victim. Singh cancelled the open house at his official residence which has been held on the January 1 every year," the party said in a release today.
"Raman Singh is returning from Rajasthan this evening," the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes