BJP prefers Sai, Congress struggles for RS selection
Raipur: Chhattisgarh`s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is all set to give tribal leader Nand Kumar Sai another term in the Rajya Sabha while the Congress is yet to finalise its candidate for the elections to the Upper House of Parliament June 17.
The mineral-rich state has two vacancies in the Rajya Sabha with BJP`s Sai and Congress` Mohsina Kidwai completing their tenure.
Both the parties will share one seat each as the BJP has 48 members in the 90-member assembly while the Congress has 39; one seat is vacant and the remaining two seats are held by the Bahujan Samaj Party.
BJP leaders said the party had decided to give 64-year-old Sai another term. The tribal veteran is from the vast northern Surguja region and is largely seen as a dissident.
He will file four sets of nomination papers Wednesday here.
However, uncertainty reigns in the Congress camp with several leaders, included nine-time Congress MP VC Shukla and his arch rival and state`s first chief minister Ajit Jogi lobbying hard for the Rajya Sabha berth.
There are also indications that other influential party members not from the state are eyeing the seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Mamata condoles Mahasweta Devi's passing
- Pope Francis falls in Poland, escapes injury
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro with dual rear cameras, OLED display, 128GB memory launched
- UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE: In this Pakistani town, guns are cheaper than smartphones!
- Jacqueline Fernandez dates a superhero! Brand new poster of Tiger Shroff's 'A Flying Jatt' is super cute- See poster